Jonah E. Safar
Cambridge, MAPrincipal EngineerNovember, 2018 to Current
McLean, VA (Remote Office)Engineering Services ManagerJanuary 2016 to August 2018
- Introduced Agile tools, reached 100% participation across the company, improved deliverables rate.
- Lead architect for many successful projects utilizing modular designs to iteratively develop under tight budget.
- Responsible for security and compliance including NIST 800-171 to retain government contracts.
- Met regularly with team members to address job satisfaction and growth opportunities.
- Evaluated contractors and potential employees to prioritize skill gaps, project needs, as well as team fit.
- Introduced cloud and monitoring automation to reduce engineering work-load and improve product reliability.
- Skills used: Python, Elasticsearch, Kibana, GitHub, AWS, Slack, JIRA, Jenkins, Angular
Boston, MAPrincipal Engineer/Team LeadDecember 2012 to December 2015
- Spearheaded the engineering effort to replace all back-end datacenter Microsoft servers with Linux systems saving over a million dollars in license fees and significantly improving service quality.
- Led a team of six engineers plus a remote team, focused on delivering tested code and personal growth.
- Integrated static analysis and code test coverage to the deployment pipeline vastly reducing production defects.
- Designed and implemented security hardening and compliance for core services and hardware.
- Introduced ‘no-touch’ automated configuration and deployment reducing new server set-up from days to minutes.
- Skills used: C++, Python, PHP, Perl, Ruby, Jenkins, Cobbler, Rally, SVN, git
Senior EngineerJune 2005 to November 2012
- Led the effort for government compliance in servers and tools from Mazu which led to large sales.
- Created a fully automated upgrade process obviating the need to manually work with each customer.
- Created an XML based UX infrastructure removing the need to custom-code new display elements.
Cambridge, MAEngineer++October 2003 to November 2004
- Integrated and automated regression-testing, build and test deployment into a single entity with attribution significantly speeding up release cycles.
- Added database replication and monitoring for painless service fail-over reducing on-call after-hour notifications.
- Led integration of IP-based location services; allowed products to be sold in tightly regulated markets.
- Skills used: C, C++, Perl, XML, Apache, HTML, SQL, Linux, MySQL, RT, cons, Make, bk, bitkeeper
VariousOwner, Consultant2001 to 2012
- Some clients: The Shadow Path, Brain Enhancement Services, Turbine Entertainment, Inc., Alignment Software, Prestige Medical, Stonekeep Consulting, Audible Magic Corp., ReEnforce, LLC, PlanetiBiz, Inc., and Benjamin Realty.
- Offered web design, database optimization, custom coding, network protocol research and development, device drivers, training, patent development, IT and security for a host of platforms.
Boulder, COSenior ArchitectMay 2001 to September 2001
Westminster, COSenior ArchitectDecember 2000 to April 2001
Westminster, COSenior EngineerApril 2000 to December 2000
Boulder, COSenior Consulting EngineerDecember 1999 to April 2000
Englewood, COSenior Systems AnalystAugust 1999 to December 1999
Boulder, COSenior EngineerMarch 1998 to July 1999
Portsmouth, RIEngineerMay 1995 to March 1998
MSEE/CE, Northeastern University, Boston, MA, 2001
BSEE/CS, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY, 1994